I'm really happy to see that I have a bunch of friends and acquaintances who are learning programming in one way or another. I've helped out informally or privately to a few of my friends who are learning to code, and I've enjoyed it a bunch. One thing I worry when I say something like "Yeah, let me know if I can help out" is that people assume I'm just being nice or think that their programming questions are too boring or basic to actually trouble me with. To show that I'm really serious, I'd like to make the following offer publicly and officially.
If you're interested in learning to code, I'd love to help you in any way I can.
How I Can Help
Those are the kind of things that I can probably help you with, or at least point you in the right direction.
Why You Might Want to Learn to Code
People want to learn to program for a bunch of different reasons; some good ones include:
- They heard that writing code is a fun way to stretch your brain
- They want to learn ways to automate the boring parts of their job so they can focus on something more creative
- They work with professional programmers at their job and they want to better understand what the programmers are talking about
- They're interested in programming for a living because they heard it's interesting work that pays well (it is)
- They've got an idea for an app, game, or website that they'd like to try to bring into existence on their own
Why I want to help
Selfishly, I think my friends are cool and I like helping them acheive their goals and living vicariously through them when they do. The process of explaining something to someone usually makes me stretch my own brain in interesting ways, so I often get as much out of it as the nominal "student" does. Plus, in my experience, this kinda thing usually comes back around eventually.
On a more big-picture level, it's my firm belief that the world is massively, immediately under-supplied in people who know how to write and understand software, and I'd like to do a small part to correct that. This is especially true for people who are members of marginalized groups in our society - women, people of color, gender and sexual minorities, etc. If that describes you, consider my offer to help that much more emphatic.
How to Ask
If a bunch of people end up taking this offer, I might need to come up with some kind of a schedule, but for now, go ahead and email me at an address I set up for my site: email@example.com. Go ahead and send me your code problems.